- 1kg of potatoes, sliced into 1/4 cm slices
- 700ml milk
- 1 onion, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 pot of chicken stock gel (or a stock cube)
- 50ml double cream or 35g butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (180 degrees for a fan oven)
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and stir while brining to a simmer.
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes (if the potatoes start to get soft then move on to putting them in the oven straight away).
- Pour into a wide, high sided dish and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Serves 4 as a side dish.