- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 sticks of celery, washed and cut into pieces about an inch in length
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces about an inch long
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.6 kg
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Mix the salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the celery and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Crush the garlic with a garlic crusher and rub it over the outside of the chicken.
- Rub the salt and paprika mixture over the outside of the chicken.
- Place the lemon quarters inside the chicken, removing any bags of jiblets if present!
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker and make sure the lid still fits over the pot.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Heat the grill (or broiler) on a medium heat.
- Very carefully lift the chicken out of the slow cooker into an oven proof dish. Don't worry if it falls apart, just lift all the pieces into the dish.
- Brown the meat under the grill for about 10 minutes or until nice and crisp.
- While the meat is grilling, strain the carrots and celery from the cooking liquid (which makes a great stock) and place the vegetables onto the plate.
- Once the chicken is browned, carve and serve onto the plates.
Serves 4 to 5 with potatoes on the side.